Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hellooo all,
Good news, we're going to be home owners. I'm very excited. We've been looking fairly diligently and spending many of our Sunday afternoons at show houses for the past year and now some resolution. The housing market has become quite depressed in the past 1/2 year, though not as bad as the US. But since we are in a good position to negotiate in this market, we put in a 'cheeky offer' and it worked!

Maybe a point of interest, they do not have fixed-rate mortgages here - they always fluctuate with the interest rate. Interest rate at the moment, 15%, is also at an unusual high - thus forcing people to sell just like in US (actually because of US). So, your mortgage payment always fluctuates, seems like it would be a hassle to budget for most people but it seems to work here. Plus if we can budget at this rate , it will only get better (unless we turn into Zimbabwe.) Also you pay property tax all at once upfront, then only utilities (e.g. sewer, water) throughout the year. Any who, enough of the technical financial stuff - John is doing a superb job being uber-negotiator and now trying to get the lawyers and other fees to give a discount - yeah! for stubborn accountant. This is where different aptitudes is coming in handy, I will be handling the renovations and contractors.

Doesn't need work to live in but we will probably sort out the kitchen and move it to the same level as the living room - yes, it has some quirks. Not quite the curb appeal I was expecting but we couldn't argue with the views and all the other requisite boxes it ticked. Bokkesmanskloof, Hout Bay for those of you who know it - just over mountain from Cape Town


My newish company (sustainable architecture/design consulting), that I started in March, is going alright as well. Currently, all 'my company' time is contracted to my colleague's company who has a bigger operation. I'm supposed to develop my own thing, but we've been so busy.

Working together, we've been requested for a proposal to consult on a high rise (20-storeys) in Nairobi which will not have air-conditioning - only passive design strategies - (haven't been there yet, but will if it goes forward). Also in the office is a headquarters office for a hotel chain in Mauritius and a Villa-type property in the Seychelles - looking forward to my turn for those business trips! Also on my plate is a vineyard's wine tasting/visitor center and an 20,000m2 (180,000sq ft) new green office building in Cape Town - though starting to turn only pale green :( . We have been fortunate to be working with some of the top local architects and thus not only do they get and appreciate what we do, they have some pretty good design as well. How refreshing. [Note: for 'what' I actually do, I will put on the website in near future - www.mldc.co.za when I have a moment to breathe, but can look at pjc.co.za for an idea]


The other big thing that impacts us is Green Building Council of South Africa (www.gbcsa.org.za) has finally released their first green building ratings tool - similar to LEED, based on the Australian version - Green Star. I've been working with the Aus version since March so now very familiar with it (we are ahead of most others and currently use it) and this will transform the building industry quite quickly I think - S.Africa, as a partly still developing country, gets to leapfrog in technologies often. Exciting times. At least the market is asking for green and this will help benchmark it - and not enough green archs/consultants to go around.

Other time-consuming endeavors include lecturing/teaching at University of Cape Town. I'm revamping the Environmental Design & Services (2nd year arch students) course. Fortunately it is just a lecture course (rather than a multiple-hour studio course) Developing the lectures and content has really helped with my work as well but doing it all at once can get a bit much. I've also done a couple small projects (adding a storey to existing house) for friends on the side. Agreed to before things took off, initially I thought this side work would subsidise the consulting but it now is in addition a nights & weekend thing.

Since many of you query my next visit - slim chance of business trip to Boston in November for GreenBuild but otherwise not slated for US visit until next June (Colorado family reunion).

Hope this finds you well. I always enjoy your updates, send on. :)
Cheers,
Michelle

No comments: